Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Something to snack on


In my quest for finding healthy and nutritious snack options for the boy, I suddenly remembered the ultimate sweet dish from Maharashtra, the very humble, the very superstar, Puran Poli. Back in my university in Hyderabad, there was a hot chips joint right outside the university where they used to sell home made fresh Puran Polis. Quite naturally, I drifted to the internet for recipes and the first ever puran poli I made from scratch was born. It was not as hard as I thought. Instead of the maida prescribed in most recipes, I used whole grain wheat and it tasted just as good. 

Here, take a look at the lovely thing. 


Check out the sweet lentil filling inside...


Just look at it.


Going.


Going.



Going.


Gone.



Yumm!



Now if anyone at all cares for the recipe, this is how I did it.

I cooked the chana dal in a pressure cooker, then fried it some more with grated jaggery and ghee until it was dry.

Kneaded dough with some sugar, salt and turmeric powder. Filled the sweet lentil mixture inside the small dough balls, if you are familiar with the aloo paratha process, that is exactly how. Then I rolled it and fried it with a dash of ghee.

The quantities were haphazard. Just improvise as you go, will you.

Be brave and try.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...